Rate 311 day 2010 on a scale of 1-10 (my review included)

Three Eleven.
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Re: Rate 311 day 2010 on a scale of 1-10 (my review included)

Post by Vallon »

FreeRayLiotta wrote:there was a point where I wasn't sure if I had died in a plane crash on the way over it was so good.

they played all of the jammy stuff I love and they went the extra mile to play a jammy psychedelic dub set. it was short, and adding in Leaving Babylon would have made it really really hot but it was a dream come true in many ways.

I might even say this was their best show. they played best ever versions of a lot of their songs - it wasn't rushed like it had been in the past, the sound was amazing. they could have done the new plain intro jam. they could have swapped out some of the staples for more rare stuff - more Omaha Sessions stuff would have been nice

chad messed up on the solo - but he took a big risk and tried some new stuff out. if he had nailed it it would have been shockingly good.
This has been a really good dialogue... pro's and con's being weighed by all, and that's what it's all about. I will honestly reserve judgement until I listen/see it for myself. I'm hoping this will be released in dvd format, or there will be a high-quality audio rip/bootleg.

The dub jam thing really sounds interesting, and the way you've described taiyed, and some of the other songs ... i'm really looking forward to hearing it.

thanks for breaking it down

--glenn
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

wbrycew wrote:Ray and Fatlip nailed it for me. The show really was awesome. I think the rest of you would've had a blast if you were there. The reggae set and Slinky alone were worth the cost of the entire trip. I feel that the number one complaint from most people on this board is that 311 is too predictable with the setlists. You need to admit that this show was a prime example of 311 doing exactly what you all complain they never do. This is 311 listening to and respecting the fans' wishes.

Before the band started on Slinky, Nick said something like "And now for something unexpected" and I thought to myself "yeah right, Nick." And they actually did something I was certain they wouldn't do. I was blown away at that moment. That topped anything else that I've seen at any 311 show (and I've been to four 311 days and about 25 regular shows)
I admit that Slinky was a huge surprise and totally unexpected ... clearly, they hadn't played it since '93... and Nick stated repeatedly that it was "retired". So, that definitely is a clear cut example of them listening to the fans, and giving them a treat. My ONLY point of contention is that in comparison to previous years, I didn't see many other standouts -- except for Color. I would have LOVED to hear that live... and I'm hoping they play it more going forward. I love both Get Down and Sun Come Through ... and would have been super excited to hear both of those songs. As to how they changed up the jammy songs, and played them sweeter, and with nuances... that I don't know, because I didn't hear it. So until I do, i'm going to reserve judgement going forward.

Obviously 311 day '04 will always be super special to me on a personal level, but I hope they DO top it ... if not now, going forward in 2012, or beyond.

...and next time, I hope to be there first-hand...
FreeRayLiotta
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FreeRayLiotta »

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pXs6RSXqt94&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pXs6RSXqt94&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

watch this. and I think you will see a little more of what it was like there. listen to how good it sounds with the crowd singing along
Rock for Light
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

excellent quality

i'm really praying they release this show on bluray
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

after they played Sun Come Through i could have left at that exact moment and been 100% satisfied with my trip to vegas. then they played the heavy end to Who's Got the Herb and i was beyond stoked. I did notice all the songs sounded way better than they normally do. the sound was perfect. and of the millions of times i've seen/heard it, that was the best time they've ever played Nix Hex probably ever. and Get Down? how can anyone possibly be hating on this show (other than being bitter)? it was said earlier but if this set didn't impress you, it's time to find a new favorite band.

sure i could have done without amber, down, beautiful disaster and you wouldn't belive, but 4/60 isn't the worst thing in the world. besides, i actually love amber, i'm just sick of hearing it live. at least they didnt play love song.

this show is for the fans, many of the fans like those songs i just mentioned. they're not radio hits anymore. they haven't been for years. they didnt play Hey You or It's Alright.

my point is, unless you have a valid argument to make as to why you hated the set other than "too many singles" or having "better things to do" -- your opinion will likely be discredited by everyone else
robah
Shades of gold displayed naturally

Post by robah »

Yeah it felt really relaxed and they nailed it in my opinion. Great great show.
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

i missed way too much of this show
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

FreeRayLiotta wrote:<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pXs6RSXqt94&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pXs6RSXqt94&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

watch this. and I think you will see a little more of what it was like there. listen to how good it sounds with the crowd singing along

pretty dope vid. The jam was definitely a step in the right direction. The crowd being involved makes a much better energy for sure. The guitar effects were pretty sweet too.

fatlip wrote:after they played Sun Come Through i could have left at that exact moment and been 100% satisfied with my trip to vegas. then they played the heavy end to Who's Got the Herb and i was beyond stoked. I did notice all the songs sounded way better than they normally do. the sound was perfect. and of the millions of times i've seen/heard it, that was the best time they've ever played Nix Hex probably ever. and Get Down? how can anyone possibly be hating on this show (other than being bitter)? it was said earlier but if this set didn't impress you, it's time to find a new favorite band.

sure i could have done without amber, down, beautiful disaster and you wouldn't belive, but 4/60 isn't the worst thing in the world. besides, i actually love amber, i'm just sick of hearing it live. at least they didnt play love song.

this show is for the fans, many of the fans like those songs i just mentioned. they're not radio hits anymore. they haven't been for years. they didnt play Hey You or It's Alright.

my point is, unless you have a valid argument to make as to why you hated the set other than "too many singles" or having "better things to do" -- your opinion will likely be discredited by everyone else
I don't think there's anything that anyone has said that could be discredited by another person's opinion or perspective on the experience. The opinions about this show are pretty even on both sides of the argument. I feel like I've stated my views pretty rationally and concisely, and maybe if you or others can't accept that without that tunnel vision that makes you jump to the conclusion that I'm bitter or jaded etc etc, then it's difficult for you to see the world and other people's mindsets without putting your labels on them. And that's the sad part about all of this.

So that's that. There's no argument or debate left to partake in. I rated the show the way I saw fit, and you did the same. Obviously both sides are happy with their decisions regardless of whether or not they align with each other.

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

i sense defensiveness since i wasnt talking about you in particular. pretty much just all the naysayers
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

fatlip wrote:i sense defensiveness since i wasnt talking about you in particular. pretty much just all the naysayers

Well I assume I'd fall into that "naysayer" category for you since I created the topic, and my review exemplified many of what I believe to be flaws of the show. Not to mention other people have been throwing around the jaded/bitter remarks in my direction specifically.

I tried to generalize most of my comparisons so they weren't personified to myself and you, but some of it came out phrased that way because of the discussions leading into it.

Later
ImageImage
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

fair enough!
Erichoholic2K1
Let the Games Begin

Post by Erichoholic2K1 »

I give it a 10, because even though they left out a few of my favorites, it was incredible to watch them tear through 60 songs in one night (including the dub set). When it was over, I wanted more, and I think that's a good thing. Best $12 I've spent on music, ever (I got the webcast obviously).

I'm really hoping they put this out on DVD, though it's mind boggeling that only 2004 is on store shelves. Maybe they'll release a DVD box set of all the 311 days down the line. 311 bliss, for sure.
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

FreeRayLiotta wrote:<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pXs6RSXqt94&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pXs6RSXqt94&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

thanks for sharing that...

--g
311Baybee
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311Baybee »

BO BICE FTW
:evil5: :smurfin: er.
KyleRayner wrote:bad things in moderation are very very good
Nate
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Nate »

Cerpin Taxt wrote:I'm pretty sure traveling across multiple time zones to go to this show was not worth it, one day you all will realize it when you grow up and come down from your vegas high. What it comes down to is that this show was not worthy of a special 311 day title, in all honesty nothing THAT exciting happened. It was just a really long show with a few rarities. Of course anyone who went will say to us who didn't "you're just jealous and bitter" WELL FUCK YOU. You're just trying to justify dropping an insane amount of money on seeing a bunch of aging used up has-beens with hair plugs, molester beards, and pop diva like wardrobe switcheroos.

Anyone who went to the show of course will think it was blemish free, thats all in your mind so you don't feel like a gluttonous asshole for spending money on an extended length mediocre concert. Don't tell us what we saw on the stream. The sound was far clearer than your arena experience....Didn't sound the greatest. We had the setlist as it unravelled....Nothing unexpected aside from Slinky(wasn't that good either TBH). When things got boring we had the liberty to mute, minimize the window and shop,brush up on current events,jerkoff etc. FOR FREE. FREE. FREE. If i took a final tally of your trip I could do much more important shit with that money, meaningful things with memories that will actually stick forever. You may think this was a once in a lifetime experience, but it happens biannually and typically with better results. Some of you guys may or may not understand this but when you are financially independent, work 40+ hours a week, don't take a hand out from anyone and struggle to get by....the least of your concerns is 311 day. Well that's me so don't get all sore if I say I'm glad I did not go because the little extra money I do have would not have been well spent going to vegas this past week.
I agree with most of this. However you went a bit too far. You sound like a bitter little bitch. That should say a lot coming from someone like me.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Cerpin Taxt would fuckin destroy you

Later
ImageImage
Cerpin Taxt
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Cerpin Taxt »

assblaster wrote:
I agree with most of this. However you went a bit too far. You sound like a bitter little bitch. That should say a lot coming from someone like me.

Wait a minute, who are you?
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

FAG

LAAAAAAAATER
Who brought me here..............?
Forsaken depraved and wrought with fear

ImageImage
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

haven't you heard?? He's condaleeza rice beeyotch

Later
ImageImage
Cerpin Taxt
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Cerpin Taxt »

no that's justin unless this guy has front teeth you could kick a field goal through like condi
Who brought me here..............?
Forsaken depraved and wrought with fear

ImageImage
311junkee
Taiyed Brodel

Post by 311junkee »

Really bummed i didn't get to go this year. I had my tix, hotel booked, all that shit. Couldn't get out of/reschedule clinicals so i had to ebay my tix and lose $100 on my room. I've been pretty bummed about it.

I finallly got around to watching the webcast and all i can say is wow. 311 is still kickin'. Some of those jams were jizztastic. If this didn't rejuvenate your love for 311, you're simply a hater........and haters suck.

Makes me think 311 will be around for another 20 years.
Jump up and down cuz that's the 311 style!