Rate 311 day 2010 on a scale of 1-10 (my review included)

Three Eleven.
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Re: Rate 311 day 2010 on a scale of 1-10 (my review included)

Post by Vallon »

Cerpin Taxt wrote:
Vallon wrote:
LMAO... wow. Again somewhat harsh... but I understand your perspective. It's about priorities for a lot of people. I don't think they're a bunch of "washed up has-beens". Far from it... but aside from Slinky and the new song debuts, it wasn't an extraordinary set. I wouldn't say mediocre... but definitely not the best.

never said washed up
sorry, just ... has-been's then. Overall though, I agree with your points.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

they're definitely not washed up has-beens. Maybe not-as-young-as-they-have-beens. And I'm certainly not jaded, but rather, experienced and knowledgable. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I'm glad I capitalized on seeing as many 311 shows as I could during the last 10 years, since a good portion of those were some of their best touring-wise.

Vallon brings up a great point about too much hype for this show. If they're going to hype it for somewhere as spectacular as Vegas they need to make the entertainment just as epic to match.

I'd go on about them needing to adjust their style to their age and experience to include more jams and all that, but I'd be beating a dead horse. I really respect that they can go on stage and try and almost succeed in maintaining the same kind of youthful energy and intensity that they did 10-20 years ago, but when it comes down to it they can't hold up as well as they used to and it does show. I'm not faulting them for getting older, but I think their true musicianship will really shine through live when they accept their changes and age and get over this apparent midlife crisis. Then we'll maybe see a 311 day we could never imagine with improv and long ass jams and new collaborations and things to really knock us off our feet as older fans that have aged along with them all these years.

I know that stage shows and fancy lights and special performers dont make a show but I guess what I'm saying is if there's not going to be any of that extra crlebratory goodness then they better put together an honest to god, unheard of setlist that takes their true fans by storm. Something this 311 day sorely lacked.

As much as I love the band and rspect everything they've achieved I need to be realistic and honest, and know that they still have so much potential to keep doing new things and grow, and part of the joy and sometimes disappointment that comes along with that is that I expect it out of them, and will continue to until the day I see it realized and when that happens I will revel in the fact that this life changing band is capable of proving to be more than just a band with an edgy attitude that appealed to a certain demographic of white suburban teens in the 90s, but a group of original musicians with soul and passion that extends well into their later years.

Later
ImageImage
:evil5:
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

*claps*

bravo

also, what's with the jordan v. pnutwannabe beef... I thought you guys were roomies :?:

do you guys have a 'Jersey Shore'ish house hould situation going on?
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

don't ask. I'm not gonna stoop to a lower level and bring that onto the boards anymore.

Later
ImageImage
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

I love a chill mystery
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

sooo chill 8)

Later
ImageImage
Rap Weasel II
The fish who keeps on swimming

Post by Rap Weasel II »

Cerpin Taxt wrote:I'm pretty sure traveling across multiple time zones to go to this show was not worth it, one day you all will realize it when you grow up and come down from your vegas high. What it comes down to is that this show was not worthy of a special 311 day title, in all honesty nothing THAT exciting happened. It was just a really long show with a few rarities. Of course anyone who went will say to us who didn't "you're just jealous and bitter" WELL FUCK YOU. You're just trying to justify dropping an insane amount of money on seeing a bunch of aging used up has-beens with hair plugs, molester beards, and pop diva like wardrobe switcheroos.

Anyone who went to the show of course will think it was blemish free, thats all in your mind so you don't feel like a gluttonous asshole for spending money on an extended length mediocre concert. Don't tell us what we saw on the stream. The sound was far clearer than your arena experience....Didn't sound the greatest. We had the setlist as it unravelled....Nothing unexpected aside from Slinky(wasn't that good either TBH). When things got boring we had the liberty to mute, minimize the window and shop,brush up on current events,jerkoff etc. FOR FREE. FREE. FREE. If i took a final tally of your trip I could do much more important shit with that money, meaningful things with memories that will actually stick forever. You may think this was a once in a lifetime experience, but it happens biannually and typically with better results. Some of you guys may or may not understand this but when you are financially independent, work 40+ hours a week, don't take a hand out from anyone and struggle to get by....the least of your concerns is 311 day. Well that's me so don't get all sore if I say I'm glad I did not go because the little extra money I do have would not have been well spent going to vegas this past week.

Man I feel your pain. It's pretty annoying that most of my friends drive cars paid for by someone else, made college a career, and are by no means living in the "real world" I work my ass off, and feel like I sometimes get no respect. I am 26 own my own house, car and everything in it. My parents pretty much cut me off when I was 17 (more like I cut myself off from them). I feel you are in a similar boat? Anyways I do not regret going to Vegas, my experience was awesome. This was my 3ed 311 day and the most fun I have had. I would say that 06 was the best 311 show I have seen, but this one was the most fun TO ME. Thats the most important part, everyone has a different perspective you just have to accept that. I spent 285 on a plane ticket, 65 total 3night stay, probably 150 on food and drink, and lost another 150 gambleing...and a few more bucks at the strip club. Oh, plus the ticket to the show, and the beach party that I stayed at for about 10min. I still wouldnt change a thing. I have never been to Vegas this was my chance no regrets at all. I think some of yall are not taking thias at face value, its a few days in Vegas, and 311. If thats not an ideal vacation, please tell me what is.
Shiny
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Shiny »

my mom is friends with someone who is friends with the family of American Idol's Bo Bice. in the year or so after his TV appearance, she went with her friend to a handful of his shows and stood in the front amongst the group of middle aged ladies who absolutely worshiped Bo Bice. these were all women who lived and breathed Bo and lived out their midlife crisis fantasizing about this mainstream 'rocker' type in his late 20s. my mom likes a good show and southern rock and had a good time at these shows with her friend and met some other middle aged friends. pretty soon though, it got really old and my mom and her friend didn't really care anymore. however, her friend stayed in touch with the other middle aged ladies they had met at the shows, who keep up with each other on a Bo Bice message board. many in that group of people still to this day, 5 years later, travel all over the country to Bo Bice's shows and stand in the front with plastered on smiles, ready to tell you afterward that this was the best they'd ever seen Bo perform.

just sayin
pnutwannabe
Taiyed Brodel

Post by pnutwannabe »

It sucks that you guys didn't enjoy it as much as those that were there, but it is the way it is. I do understand that there is a, for lack of a better term, disconnect, when you are not there. Much of it was the atmosphere and the people that made the time out there great. However I do feel that the webcast did not do the show justice (yes I did watch it) and the energy at the venue was amazing.

As for the "amber noob" comment, you can ask people that have gone to two shows or ninety one shows and they would be saying the same thing as me. It was an amazing show, regardless of how many rarities were played. What was rare and played made it worth every second, and anyone who was there will not forget the experience of the show and the excitement before and after.

FreeRayLiotta
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FreeRayLiotta »

you guys are all full of shit.

the stream didn't do it justice. nick sounded a hundred times better live - the vocals were nice and reverbed and filled the room really well - not perfect obviously but the stream makes it seem much worse

this way their best 311 day show.

they played pretty much ALL of their jammy material and it sounded fucking awesome. tim ripped the show apart. pnuts solo was the best thing has ever done. nutsuymptom and then brodels. the fucking place was on fire.

welcome jam > 1,2,3 that is like something out of a dream. they sounds they were using in between songs during that dub set were fucking filthy. Color, Light Years, rub a dub, herb. - the dub set was one of the best things this band has ever done . PEROID

BEST TAIYED EVER - they actually jammed out the ending instead of playing the same recorded version. use of time was brilliant. sever - the ending on sever was gorgeous nix hex jam was dope

the mash up sucked as usual - daisy cutter was atrocious. they didn't play hey you. or love song. it was nice to hear don't tread on me - i thought it sounded pretty great.

i was glad that there were no bullshit stilt walkers or fire twirlers - that stuff was stupid anyway. They kept the stage open so everyone could see. it was a minimal set up for sure but at times I thought it looked absolutely gorgeous. they could have done more with the screen. i liked the white stage, the lights would make it nice and colorful and it gave you a nice perspective on the space

I think they need to make it a 2 day event. do a big set of 30 songs on night one - and then do another 45 the next night. you just can't keep up the energy - the last set was rough, i was tired and done and nick came out in the all white and it kind of took a turn for the worse. it was great to hear slinky and some of those other song but the crowd was tired and drunk and baked so it wasn't as exciting as it should be. but still awesome to hear.

the beach party was cool. Soul Man from the Phunk Junkeez was DJing and he did a really nice job. The Wailers were good, but the crowd seemed more into the DJ. Dancing in nice warm water and hearing 2 SKinnee getting spun and looking at the hotels, awesome.

great time, great show. nothing is perfect

311 day is really the only time you should ever see this band. don't live your life through the internet. the concert is all about setting the opportunity for a great experience. vegas was fun - renting and jeep and driving out the desert was better - saw some prehistoric paintings on rocks out in the desert. the show could have sucked and the trip would still have been worth it. don't be pussies.
Rock for Light
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Jordan311 wrote:they're definitely not washed up has-beens. Maybe not-as-young-as-they-have-beens. And I'm certainly not jaded, but rather, experienced and knowledgable. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I'm glad I capitalized on seeing as many 311 shows as I could during the last 10 years, since a good portion of those were some of their best touring-wise.

Vallon brings up a great point about too much hype for this show. If they're going to hype it for somewhere as spectacular as Vegas they need to make the entertainment just as epic to match.

I'd go on about them needing to adjust their style to their age and experience to include more jams and all that, but I'd be beating a dead horse. I really respect that they can go on stage and try and almost succeed in maintaining the same kind of youthful energy and intensity that they did 10-20 years ago, but when it comes down to it they can't hold up as well as they used to and it does show. I'm not faulting them for getting older, but I think their true musicianship will really shine through live when they accept their changes and age and get over this apparent midlife crisis. Then we'll maybe see a 311 day we could never imagine with improv and long ass jams and new collaborations and things to really knock us off our feet as older fans that have aged along with them all these years.

I know that stage shows and fancy lights and special performers dont make a show but I guess what I'm saying is if there's not going to be any of that extra crlebratory goodness then they better put together an honest to god, unheard of setlist that takes their true fans by storm. Something this 311 day sorely lacked.

As much as I love the band and rspect everything they've achieved I need to be realistic and honest, and know that they still have so much potential to keep doing new things and grow, and part of the joy and sometimes disappointment that comes along with that is that I expect it out of them, and will continue to until the day I see it realized and when that happens I will revel in the fact that this life changing band is capable of proving to be more than just a band with an edgy attitude that appealed to a certain demographic of white suburban teens in the 90s, but a group of original musicians with soul and passion that extends well into their later years.

Later
Now THAT is a post. You articulated my thoughts about them aging perfectly... and it's worth highlighting...
I really respect that they can go on stage and try and almost succeed in maintaining the same kind of youthful energy and intensity that they did 10-20 years ago, but when it comes down to it they can't hold up as well as they used to and it does show. I'm not faulting them for getting older, but I think their true musicianship will really shine through live when they accept their changes and age and get over this apparent midlife crisis. Then we'll maybe see a 311 day we could never imagine with improv and long ass jams and new collaborations and things to really knock us off our feet as older fans that have aged along with them all these years.
Amen to that. I honestly don't understand why people give you so much shit Jordan, you're right on.

--g
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

Shiny wrote:my mom is friends with someone who is friends with the family of American Idol's Bo Bice. in the year or so after his TV appearance, she went with her friend to a handful of his shows and stood in the front amongst the group of middle aged ladies who absolutely worshiped Bo Bice. these were all women who lived and breathed Bo and lived out their midlife crisis fantasizing about this mainstream 'rocker' type in his late 20s. my mom likes a good show and southern rock and had a good time at these shows with her friend and met some other middle aged friends. pretty soon though, it got really old and my mom and her friend didn't really care anymore. however, her friend stayed in touch with the other middle aged ladies they had met at the shows, who keep up with each other on a Bo Bice message board. many in that group of people still to this day, 5 years later, travel all over the country to Bo Bice's shows and stand in the front with plastered on smiles, ready to tell you afterward that this was the best they'd ever seen Bo perform.

just sayin
hahaha...

I don't know if comparing 311 fans to middle-aged Bo Bice fans is an appropriate comparison -- but it sure as hell is funny.
Vallon
Color is an instrumental

Post by Vallon »

FreeRayLiotta wrote:you guys are all full of shit.

the stream didn't do it justice. nick sounded a hundred times better live - the vocals were nice and reverbed and filled the room really well - not perfect obviously but the stream makes it seem much worse

this way their best 311 day show.

they played pretty much ALL of their jammy material and it sounded fucking awesome. tim ripped the show apart. pnuts solo was the best thing has ever done. nutsuymptom and then brodels. the fucking place was on fire.

welcome jam > 1,2,3 that is like something out of a dream. they sounds they were using in between songs during that dub set were fucking filthy. Color, Light Years, rub a dub, herb. - the dub set was one of the best things this band has ever done . PEROID

BEST TAIYED EVER - they actually jammed out the ending instead of playing the same recorded version. use of time was brilliant. sever - the ending on sever was gorgeous nix hex jam was dope

the mash up sucked as usual - daisy cutter was atrocious. they didn't play hey you. or love song. it was nice to hear don't tread on me - i thought it sounded pretty great.

i was glad that there were no bullshit stilt walkers or fire twirlers - that stuff was stupid anyway. They kept the stage open so everyone could see. it was a minimal set up for sure but at times I thought it looked absolutely gorgeous. they could have done more with the screen. i liked the white stage, the lights would make it nice and colorful and it gave you a nice perspective on the space

I think they need to make it a 2 day event. do a big set of 30 songs on night one - and then do another 45 the next night. you just can't keep up the energy - the last set was rough, i was tired and done and nick came out in the all white and it kind of took a turn for the worse. it was great to hear slinky and some of those other song but the crowd was tired and drunk and baked so it wasn't as exciting as it should be. but still awesome to hear.

the beach party was cool. Soul Man from the Phunk Junkeez was DJing and he did a really nice job. The Wailers were good, but the crowd seemed more into the DJ. Dancing in nice warm water and hearing 2 SKinnee getting spun and looking at the hotels, awesome.

great time, great show. nothing is perfect

311 day is really the only time you should ever see this band. don't live your life through the internet. the concert is all about setting the opportunity for a great experience. vegas was fun - renting and jeep and driving out the desert was better - saw some prehistoric paintings on rocks out in the desert. the show could have sucked and the trip would still have been worth it. don't be pussies.
Thanks for the break down of all the events. I hadn't heard about the Beach Party thing, so I appreciate you painting that picture. I'm not bitter because I didn't go, I just thought based on the setlist alone, that it wasn't the best. My opinion and yours is subjective ... it doesn't really matter what I think. What matters is each individual person feeling like they just had a great experience. From that write-up you just did, it sounds like you had a blast... and i'm happy for you, and everyone else that feels that way.

I like the idea about doing 2 days instead of just one... and really stretching it out into the event that it could be. Most people in Vegas stayed for 3/4 days anyways... so I don't see that being an issue. Normally if you do multiple nights ... like say at Madison Square Garden or something... it's to maximize sales. If they were to do as a two night thing, they should sell the tix as a pair, not as individual shows. Honestly 2 nights of special shows, extended jams, collaborations, rarities and maybe a cover or two ... at 30 songs a piece. That would be awesome. Two nights, where you know they're not going to repeat the same songs. Skip the intermissions and the sideshow. I like that concept a lot... Maybe do it over 3 nights... Night 1: 1st Show... Night 2: Fan Party/Meet-n'-Greet/Band Rehersal... Night 3: 2nd Show.

That's probably the only way they could actually make the show "longer" than 5 1/2 hours...

Eventually you could have each show be 3 hours and 11 minutes long .... so you'd work your way up to 6 hours 22 minutes total over both shows.

Something like that.

--g
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

they played a lot of 311 songs. what else do you want? this was just as awesome as the other 311 days if you ask me, they added a lot of stuff to some old school songs which was FANFUCKINGTASTIC. that welcome->1,2,3 shit was 10.0, and yeah ray, BEST TAIYED EVER;which means best live 311 song EVER PLAYED ANYWHERE EVER. that whole "reggae" set they did was perfect.

one thing i know is i could tell chad took awhile to get comfortable, he said something about moving his throne up eight inches, to get a fresh feel. he's gone through a lot of set changes, he moved EVERY drum around from his long-time setup. not to say he wasn't great, but i heard him mess up a few times. i didn't get to see chad solo, which i need to remedy so i can critique it.

if you read between the lines he hints at "part of his body hurting" after sets. really good interview, they ask him stuff i'd want to ask him.
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

Vallon wrote: Amen to that. I honestly don't understand why people give you so much shit Jordan, you're right on.

--g

Mainly cuz I'm the one giving the shit 99% of the time, so any chance people have to take a shot back they take :bounce:

In response, to FreeRay's post... :shock: :shock: :shock:
I am legitimately surprised you had such a positive reaction from the show. The energy in Vegas must have been amazing. I was not expecting such a great review from you.

Later
ImageImage
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

everyone's talking in a tone of fact when the real fact is that it's all of your opinions

if you didnt go and you're glad.. good. if you went and you're glad, awesome.

i had a blast and i feel it was well worth the trip.

you're all a bunch of babies
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
Jordan311
Phlegmatic in stature

Post by Jordan311 »

fatlip wrote:everyone's talking in a tone of fact when the real fact is that it's all of your opinions

if you didnt go and you're glad.. good. if you went and you're glad, awesome.

i had a blast and i feel it was well worth the trip.

you're all a bunch of babies

way to contradict the entire point of your post with that last little comment

:arrow:

Later
ImageImage
fatlip
Taiyed Brodel

Post by fatlip »

nope
$lmjimy311 wrote:the ram seemed a little out of place. i didnt mind the tiger
:evil5: :happy10:
FreeRayLiotta
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FreeRayLiotta »

there was a point where I wasn't sure if I had died in a plane crash on the way over it was so good.

they played all of the jammy stuff I love and they went the extra mile to play a jammy psychedelic dub set. it was short, and adding in Leaving Babylon would have made it really really hot but it was a dream come true in many ways.

I might even say this was their best show. they played best ever versions of a lot of their songs - it wasn't rushed like it had been in the past, the sound was amazing. they could have done the new plain intro jam. they could have swapped out some of the staples for more rare stuff - more Omaha Sessions stuff would have been nice

chad messed up on the solo - but he took a big risk and tried some new stuff out. if he had nailed it it would have been shockingly good.
Rock for Light
wbrycew
Taiyed Brodel

Post by wbrycew »

Ray and Fatlip nailed it for me. The show really was awesome. I think the rest of you would've had a blast if you were there. The reggae set and Slinky alone were worth the cost of the entire trip. I feel that the number one complaint from most people on this board is that 311 is too predictable with the setlists. You need to admit that this show was a prime example of 311 doing exactly what you all complain they never do. This is 311 listening to and respecting the fans' wishes.

Before the band started on Slinky, Nick said something like "And now for something unexpected" and I thought to myself "yeah right, Nick." And they actually did something I was certain they wouldn't do. I was blown away at that moment. That topped anything else that I've seen at any 311 show (and I've been to four 311 days and about 25 regular shows)
and in the end
the love you take
is equal to
the love you make