Working with Scotch Ralston

Talk about your fave band or genres. Or plug your own band, whatever.
HowiRocks
Taiyed Brodel

Working with Scotch Ralston

Post by HowiRocks »

Yo, thought some of you might like to know that we've just started pre-production for our new album with Scotch Ralston. He did Transistor and Soundsystem, as well as co-produced the Blue Album, From Chaos and Grassroots..

We're stoked to have him. He's really digging the new music and we're working on about 20 new songs right now. We'll be hitting the Wrightway Studios in Baltimore on july 16th. We're looking to release the record in September.

Lots of other things on the horizon, good things. I elaborate as it develops, but it's moving along really nicely.
robah
Shades of gold displayed naturally

Post by robah »

Can you hook a brother up? You have to get him to say "There's just no denying that was the one" after a loud song...That's what I'd do lol. It has to be cool knowing you'll be working with someone who knows what they're doing. Peace.
HowiRocks
Taiyed Brodel

Post by HowiRocks »

yeah, it was funny yesterday. We were playing our songs, going over shit, doing what we always do and Scotch Ralston was sitting in the back of the room with a DAT recorder, his mac, and taking notes on all the songs.

Kind of surreal, knowing that he's worked with one of our favorite bands.
311_4_unity
Sometimes jacks rule the realm

Post by 311_4_unity »

love the production he did on Transistor.
"To Mean People, I Say Choke On It, Gagging All The Way. May You Remember The Texture For Days"
JuicyJ
Taiyed Brodel

Post by JuicyJ »

That is fucking awesome Howi. Must be a great feeling to work with someone who has passively been a part of your music inspiration (assuming that 311 was an inspiration) Just work your ass off and give this album/experience everything you got.

That being said, you need to bust out with some cowbell during one of your recording sessions, have Ralston stop everything, come in, and demand some more motherfucking cowbell~
mary
Taiyed Brodel

Post by mary »

:)
Last edited by mary on Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrixHex311
Taiyed Brodel

Post by FrixHex311 »

you should tell him to get back with 311 for their next album

soundsystem and transistor are 311's best works IMO
3/9/02, 9/4/02, 7/21/03, 8/27/03
8/7/05, 9/11/05, 3/11/06, 9/3/06
7/4/07, 7/5/07, 3/11/08, 7/24/08
5/12/09, 12/5/09, 3/11/10, 7/13/12
7/29/14, 8/2/15, 8/5/16
311 The best no CONTEST!
Element
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Element »

go howi!
bcolephases
Taiyed Brodel

Post by bcolephases »

ask him why he left 311!
HowiRocks
Taiyed Brodel

Post by HowiRocks »

Yeah, I have kind of said mentioned to him that he should get with them for their new record. He said "after this record comes out, they might be calling me", then he laughed.

He's really feeling the new songs. A lot of rock tunes actually. Once we get in the studio in a couple weeks, we'll be tweaking them. He was sitting in the corner recording our rehearsal to a DAT recorder and taking notes for every song.

Kind of wierd having Scotch Ralston in the room with us. ha ha...

To anyone in Baltimore, he'll be at our show tonight at Sonar if you want to meet him. He's a real laid back, i'm sure he'd love it. Just find me and I'll introduce you.

Hey Ron, I'll hit you up about modeling! ha ha
Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

Wow thats fucking awesome Howi. Congrats to you and the band. Can't wait for the new album
:evil5:
HowiRocks
Taiyed Brodel

Post by HowiRocks »

Hey thanx! It feels good to have notable people on our team! This will be the best one yet. More of a rock album too.

I just talked to Scotch and he's going to run sound for us tonight! ha ha, sick. We're going to sound huge!
Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

Yeah you guys rock hard, I think I'm gonna listen to your debut cd here in a bit.
HowiRocks
Taiyed Brodel

Post by HowiRocks »

**VIEW THE SESSION FOOTAGE HERE**

Monday, July 16th, 2007

Alright, we're here at Wrightway Studios in West Baltimore. Nice place. If you guys want to see pictures of it, check it out online:

http://www.wrightwaystudios.com

Right now Donald is in the live room and Scotch and I are in the control room. They're sound checking. Drums songs sick already! Scotch is bouncing all over the room adjusting volumes and shit...all while enjoying a banana.

Steve, the owner of this place seems like a cool dude. Laid back, letting Scotch do his thing. I've got a great feeling about these sessions.

We've got Protools loaded up on this huge flat screen monitor. We'll be able to see every snare hit in wave form. It's weird to be able to see your music like that. Kind of like when you meet your local radio DJ at a show or promo somewhere and you think to yourself..."So THAT'S what you look like??!" ha ha.. in a good way though.

Tuesday, July 17th, 2007

Well, got the drums dialed in after about 3 hours of changing mics and levels. They sound sick! We got 3 songs done and rolled out around 11:30pm. We got here today noon and started working. We've got some great takes of "Paper Dolls", "Phantoms", a new song called "All I Want", and we re-cut "Cerveza"..sounds MUCH bigger now.

Scotch is a bad ass and knows his shit. We're all trying to watch over his back to learn his tricks. I've been editing videos between takes to keep you all updated visually. We may be taking a break from the record in August. Scotch is heading out with Slightly Stoopid to run sound, so well pick back up in September. This means we'll be pushing the album back some more. Not too much longer, but just trust us. You're all going to love the different flavors on this record.

More soon...
Alexnova
Taiyed Brodel

Post by Alexnova »

Fucking awesome, can't wait for this shit.
HowiRocks
Taiyed Brodel

Post by HowiRocks »

shit, me too! ha ha..